Volkswagen records double-digit growth in April
- Deliveries rise by 11 percent to about 520,000 vehicles
- Global upward trend further accelerated
- Brand already passes 2 million mark after four months
The Volkswagen brand has once again stepped up its growth rate. With about 520,000 vehicles delivered in April, the brand recorded an increase of 11 percent compared with the prior-year figure for the same month. All in all, the brand already delivered 2,044,900 vehicles from January to April. Jürgen Stackmann, Volkswagen Board Member for Sales, said: “The Volkswagen brand continues to step up the pace. We have already passed the 2 million vehicle mark after four months and have generated enthusiasm for Volkswagen with more customers than ever before. The sustained upward trend in our domestic market Germany, the USA and South America is particularly gratifying. It should be mentioned that the new Polo has already been delivered to 140,000 customers and that deliveries of the new T-Roc have reached 41,000 units.
Deliveries in the regions and markets in April developed as follows:
- 158,000 vehicles were handed over to customers in Europe in April, an increase of 13% compared with the previous year. This trend was chiefly driven by major markets in Western Europe such as Italy (+28.9 % ), France (+8.0 % ) and Spain (+9.0 %). Demand for the new T-Roc and Polo is especially high. Compared with the previous year, deliveries in Western Europe grew by 12.9%.
- In the domestic market of Germany, 52,700 vehicles were handed over to customers, representing a rise of 15 percent compared with the previous year. The environmental bonus and two additional working days contributed to the good results. Furthermore, new models such as the T-Roc and the Tiguan Allspace have been on the market for a few months and are generating considerable demand.
- 24,400 vehicles were handed over to customers in the Central and Eastern Europe region, corresponding to a 13.9 percent increase on the previous year. In Russia, deliveries stood at 8,900 vehicles, an encouraging 22.7 percent higher than the prior-year figure.
- 46,200 vehicles were delivered in North America, corresponding to the same level of deliveries as in the previous year. In the USA, the SUV offensive once again boosted deliveries by 4.5% to 28,800 vehicles. In Canada, 5,700 vehicles were delivered in April, a rise of 4.4%.
- 42,100 vehicles were handed over to customers in South America. This represents an increase of 32.2 percent in the region compared with the previous year. In Brazil, the largest market in the region, 28,800 vehicles were delivered, representing a rise of 43.3 percent over the corresponding month of the previous year. Both the Polo and the Virtus enjoyed considerable popularity.
- The brand continued on its growth course in China in April. The Volkswagen brand delivered 247,400 vehicles in its largest individual market – a further rise of 9.5 percent and the best delivery figure ever recorded in April. Demand for the Golf, the Lamando and the Teramont was especially strong.