Volkswagen’s success continues in August
- Deliveries up 3.7 percent to 513,300 vehicles
- Growth path successfully continued, 26 percent increase in Europe
- 4.1 million vehicles delivered from January to August – new record
- Jürgen Stackmann, Volkswagen Brand Board Member for Sales: “We will be able to deliver far fewer vehicles in September due to changeover to WLTP test procedure”
The Volkswagen brand handed over 513,300 vehicles to customers worldwide in August, representing an increase of 3.7 percent compared with the same month of the previous year and a new record for the month of August. All in all, 4,137,900 vehicles were delivered from January to August, a rise of 6.2 percent compared with the corresponding period of the previous year, and a further record. Jürgen Stackmann, Volkswagen Brand Board Member for Sales, commented: “August was another strong month for the Volkswagen brand in many markets: we posted record deliveries for the month of August and for the period January-August. We will be able to deliver far fewer vehicles in Europe in September due to the changeover to the WLTP test procedure. October will also get off to a subdued start, but we are expecting a strong performance from the Volkswagen brand in November and December in particular.”
Deliveries in the regions and markets in August developed as follows:
- 132,700 vehicles were handed over to customers in Europe, 26 percent more than in August 2017. This positive development was mainly due to the fact that programs for the sale of vehicles type-tested in accordance with NEDC before the entry into force of the WLTP test procedure on September 1 were successfully implemented in major markets in Western Europe: apart from the home market of Germany, these included in particular the Netherlands (+59.3 percent), the UK (+56.3 percent), Spain (+55.1 percent) and Sweden (+44.8 percent). Overall, deliveries in Western Europe rose 26.1 percent compared with the previous year.
- 43,400 vehicles were handed over to customers in the home market of Germany, an increase of 17.3 percent compared with the previous year. The Volkswagen brand’s model offensive with the new Polo, T-Roc, Tiguan Allspace, Arteon and Touareg models was one of the main success factors here. Furthermore, programs for the sale of vehicles type-approved to NEDC were also successfully implemented in Germany.
- 24,700 vehicles were delivered to customers in Central and Eastern Europe, a rise of 25.6 percent compared with the previous year. One of the main reasons for this positive development was the situation in Russia, where deliveries were 20.4 percent higher than the previous year, at 8,600 vehicles.
- With 51,400 vehicles handed over to customers in North America, deliveries there were 7.5 percent down on the same month in 2017. There was a slight increase of 0.7 percent in the USA, where deliveries ran at 32,300 units. The Tiguan and Atlas SUVs were the cornerstones of success. The new Jetta, where monthly deliveries topped the 10,000 mark for the first time, provided important impetus. In Mexico, a fall of 16.6 percent was recorded as a result of the tense situation on the overall market.
- 44,900 vehicles were handed over to customers in South America, an increase of 10.9 percent compared with the same month last year. This success is to a large extent attributable to Brazil, the region’s largest market, where 32,300 vehicles were delivered, a rise of 26.4 percent compared with the same month last year. The product offensive is a key driver of this positive trend. The new Polo is proving very popular, with 6,500 customers taking delivery of this model.
- The Volkswagen brand delivered 256,800 vehicles in China, its largest single market, 3.2 percent down on the previous year. The reason for the decrease in China was changes in customs duties on vehicles, which led to customers throughout the auto market adopting a wait-and-see approach. Volkswagen’s notchback models were particularly popular: 42,900 customers (+13.5 percent) took delivery of the Lavida, 30,700 Sagita models (+10.7 percent) were handed over, and 18,900 customers (+16 percent) chose a Magotan.
Overview of deliveries by the Volkswagen brand in August: